Route 1 Gateway Project
Location: Route 1 highway between Point LePreau and St. Stephen, New Brunswick
Client: Dexter Construction
The twinning of the Route 1 highway between Point LePreau and St. Stephen was needed to complete the four lane highway “Gateway” between the St. Stephen/Calais border and the Trans Canada Highway (Route 2) at River Glade, NB. Conquest Engineering was engaged to undertake geotechnical consultation, Dynamic Pile Load Testing and quality control services on behalf of the contractor (Dexter Construction) throughout the construction of the new highway.
Proponent’s Responsibility on the Project
- Investigate subgrade conditions and provide geotechnical recommendations for 21 culvert locations where the proposed highway crossed stream/rivers.
- Investigate subgrade conditions and provide geotechnical recommendations for 19 bridge abutments and 5 sign bases.
- Perform Pile Driving Analyzer load tests for bridge piers and abutments for 10 bridges.
- Material acceptance testing of materials for borrow sources, subbase, and base layers throughout the duration of the project.
- Daily compaction testing throughout the project for mass infilling and pavement courses including continuous feedback to the contractor to ensure that the project specifications were met throughout construction.
- Testing and inspection of cast in-place concrete used for bridge abutments, bridge decks, and culvert/arch foundations.
Relevance of the Project
Conquest Engineering organized and coordinated multiple field inspectors to carry out quality control for this highly anticipated public project. From visual observation of rock fill placement, to compaction monitoring with a nuclear densometer, to testing the as delivered plastic concrete for bridge and culvert structures, Conquest Engineering was able to provide the feedback necessary for the contractor to carry on with the construction knowing that the project specifications were being met and the quality control paperwork was in place for the owner.